While I work with a variety of clients as a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER (CFP®), my particular area of expertise is in assisting university employees and their families with their portfolio management and financial planning needs, seeking to ensure that their university retirement assets are properly managed and aligned with their broader financial planning goals and priorities.
Since 2000, I have worked primarily with university professors, administrators, and staff in helping them evaluate and take advantage of the numerous retirement, investment, and tax deferral opportunities that are unique to university employees.
Typical questions that clients come to me for help with are:
- When can I retire? How much should I be saving?
- What combination of retirement plans is right for me (ORP, 403b, 401k, 457b, etc.)?
- What combination of retirement companies should I choose (Fidelity, TIAA-CREF, etc.)?
- How should I have my ORP, 403b, and 457b accounts invested?
- How do I manage my old ORP and 403b accounts from previous institutions that I’ve worked at?
- Is it better to rollover my accounts to an IRA or leave them where they are?
- How much of my income can I shelter from taxes?
- How should I start drawing down my various retirement assets?
- When should I start my TSERS or VRS pension benefits?
- Which TSERS or VRS pension benefit option should I choose?
- When should I start taking Social Security?
- Do I need long-term care insurance?
If you have similar questions and would like to discuss how we might be of assistance, just click below.
You can also find out more about me at my blog, www.AdvisingAcademics.com.